Bladnoch Forum
Page 2 of 82 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#21599 - 25/11/07 06:21 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Willie JJ]
Raymond Administrator Offline

Loc: Bladnoch Distillery Nr. Wigtow...
Re above posting. Hi Willie, a quick comment, to spend £17 on a whisky tasting seems to me to be quite a lot and quite a lot of people couldn't do it.

A £30 bottle of whisky can give quite a lot of enjoyment. If it's even less it can give even more pleasure. Even the cheaper less rare earlier forum cask strength bottlings at £15 and £18 (Tomatin and Tamdhu etc) can give a lot of pleasure. A £45 bottle is a luxury which can probably only be afforded by a small percentage of people in the UK.
A great deal of extra "free" pleasure can be obtained from sharing the experience with a small number of friends or even a larger group such as the forum.
Someone mentioned that they could purchase small bottlings 10 cl, for tasting purposes and I think this is an idea I'm going to copy. If these are reasonably priced they should be an attractive addition to our shop sales. I think when I go back to Bladnoch I'm definitely going to set the wheels in motion and put together a group of three 10 cl bottlings for drinking and discussion purposes. I keep on saying I'm going to do it .... this time is for sure.

#21601 - 25/11/07 07:07 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Raymond]
karlejnar Offline

Loc: Arden, Denmark
 Originally Posted By: Raymond
Someone mentioned that they had the ability to purchase small bottlings 10 cl, for tasting purposes and I think this is an idea I'd like to copy. If these are cheap enough they might be an attraction so I think I'm going to try to put together a group of three 10 cl bottlings including at least one Bladnoch for discussion purposes. I'm going to do this next time back at Bladnoch.

That's a brilliant idea Raymond - but why not use the nice 20cl bottles you already have in stock. I normally buy a couple of those to try out your bottlings before buying the 70cl bottle. As most if not all of your bottlings are very high quality and good value for money I usually end up buying the same whisky's as 70cl at a later visit during our stay, but that's another story.

But for some people it would sometimes be nice to get 3x20cl of different malts instead of 1x70cl of just one malt.

It's certainly an idea a number of other distillers have used, e.g. Diageo, Glenfiddich, Balvenie.

Sometimes I wish all my "not-collection-just-behind-in-drinking" bottles were all 20cl instead of 70cl. Then I wouldn't be so much "behind"
;\)
I'm not collecting whisky - just behind in drinking it ;\)

#21603 - 25/11/07 09:01 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: karlejnar]
jonbrumwell Offline

Loc: Shropshire, UK
I'd certainly subscribe to either a 10 cl or 20 cl 'taster' set (although the 20s do allow for a more considered opinion to be formed, of course!). ;\)

20s would also allow the experience to be shared, not just through the Forum but with friends at home, too.

Jon B

#21628 - 26/11/07 09:57 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: jonbrumwell]
Willie JJ Offline

Loc: Midlothian, Scotland
Hi Raymond
I agree with your comments on bottles, and would agree with your comments on Mark's tastings if they were a official Cadenheads event. If someone is pushing their product then I think £10 is plenty to pay. However, most of the stuff put up at Mark's tastings is not Cadenheads and, more often than not, its no longer available even if it is. The tastings are just for the joy of trying something different and having fun with whisky. Hard to put a price on a really good night out I think.

I probably do spend too much money on whisky though:-)

#21630 - 26/11/07 10:49 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Willie JJ]
peteys Offline

Loc: Århus Denmark
Well it sounds allmost as the tastings I do with my friends, now that they are hooked, I jack up the price....
the 17 whisky lowland tasting I did, cost them each 18£ it´s usually arround a 10´er.

But seriusly, it does sound like something he does for his own pleasure and not for profit. Maybe an excuse for him to taste something special himself, like me I allways take home the leftovers....

plus offcourse, he does some great promotion for Cadenheads, even if he does´nt serve them Cadenheads own bottlings.

Peter

#21635 - 26/11/07 11:33 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: peteys]
Wee_Lea Offline

Loc: Campbeltown
 Originally Posted By: peteys
the 17 whisky lowland tasting I did, cost them each 18£ it´s usually arround a 10´er.

Wow, 17 whiskies? Surely after that much your tastebuds would be oblivious to what spirit was being consumed!! I'm sure they would also be having a bit of a party of their own tho!

#21637 - 27/11/07 12:08 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Wee_Lea]
peteys Offline

Loc: Århus Denmark
Well, some we only had 1cl of otherwise it would have been wasting good whisky. And no, we did´nt save the best for last like most tastings

Peter

#21650 - 27/11/07 02:40 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: peteys]
Leither Offline

Loc: Edinburgh
I think at £10 or £15 the tastings would be incredible value, but I suspect not feasible due to current whisky prices. However, at £17 for regulars this still represents real value for money to sample 5 or 6 (normally cask strength) drams.

As WillieJJ points out Mark regularly brings in whisky that would be both difficult to source and priced out of reach for most of us. For example the recent tasting included a Talisker 20yo from a 1st rate sherry cask ('the best Talisker I've ever tasted' according to a certain Jim Murray) which is currently £139 at the Whisky Exchange. Also included was a 30yo anCnoc.

Also he doesn't take the easy option and simply plug Cadenheads drams.

Anyway, highly recommended for those living in/near, or visiting, Edinburgh. Next weeks is sold out but the one after, for anyone interested, is 20th Dec.

#21652 - 27/11/07 06:54 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]
Wee_Lea Offline

Loc: Campbeltown
I think I will take a trip to the shop and enquire a little more, there is no excuse as I only live 15mins away from it. Can you tell me how many people usually attend?

Cheers

#21653 - 27/11/07 07:06 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Wee_Lea]
Willie JJ Offline

Loc: Midlothian, Scotland
Numbers vary a lot. As Leither says the next tasting is sold out (perhaps because it is all drams that are least 30 years old), but a typical unthemed tasting would probably have around 14 folk.

Page 2 of 82 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Raymond 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 20 anonymous users online.
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Nadadaday, Paulie77, flower1209, killerki, FelixDeSax
3836 Registered Users
Top Posters
Raymond
autism
Alexander
Par
Åke Johansson

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

© Bladnoch Forum - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com