Bladnoch Forum
Page 5 of 82 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#23546 - 09/04/08 08:57 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Par Offline

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Extremely fair price for the tastings.

And I've had the sort of same feeling about the Campbeltown Loch 21 yo. Nevertheless, I've got myself another bottle of it as it is still rather good value and also to keep for the future uses when there are other things to put it alongside, of a more legendary (I assume) status. And a friend of mine has got a couple of bottles of the old CL 25 yo, which was a positively cracking dram. As regards that one, I'm sad I did not buy a couple of cases. Was cheap too.

/ Pär

#23560 - 09/04/08 08:55 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Par]
Jolly Toper Offline

Loc: East Calder, West Lothian, Sco...
It should also be mentioned that the gloriously inconsistant plain old Campbeltown Loch (no age statement 40%) is always worth a look. Its usually at least a refreshing change from the standard issue blends and can be close to best in the market. A 15yo is also standard at the moment, the batch I tried was most pleasing but far lighter that the 21yo and 25yo. The last two Christmases have seen special bottlings. 2006 was 12yo. From time to time other events qualify for a special edition like the Campbeltown's music festival's 13yo Hopefully we'll see another aged example before the year is out again at a silly price.

Advertorial finished

#23566 - 10/04/08 07:58 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Par Offline

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Yes, like the CL30 towards the end of the year. Regrettably most likely good and expensive. Like so much else.

Any heads-up notifications on bargain batches would of course be welcome, for younger ages as well.

/ Pär

#23573 - 10/04/08 07:09 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Par]
Jolly Toper Offline

Actually Imeant silly - cheap. I'll keep everyone posted.
#23577 - 10/04/08 11:24 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Willie JJ Offline

Loc: Midlothian, Scotland
Just a few comments on Mark's tasting the other night:

Quote:
Campbeltown loch 21yo 40% from Springbank Distillers. Quite rightly well received but personally I was surprised to discover a lighter character than I was expecting.

Agreed, but it was still very pleasant and would have no problem paying the price for the few bottles still kicking around.

Quote:
No.2 North Port 62.0% Cadenheads bottled 1998. The kick of the 62% woke up our tastebuds but the long development and lingering subtlety I'd remembered from this bottling again failed to materialise.

I thought this was better than Mark is suggesting. I fully understand why he picked it for the tasting and think he, at least, was just suffering from chilli burn.

Quote:
No.3 was the mystery dram. What could it be? Smooth, sweet, light, delicate, vanilla. ...
Bladnoch Forum Invergordon single grain 1972 - 2007 35yo 47.4% - marvelous and very popular.

This stuff is simply fantastic. It won the 'whisky of the night' vote by a nose, but I'm sure it was very high on everyone else's list. Brilliant stuff Raymond.

Quote:
No.4 Glengoyne 43%. This bottling is not the current re-issue with a beefed up sherry influence which I think comes in a card carton.

Wasn't overwhelmed by this and only bought the dog end of the bottle because no one else did. I think I poured most of it into other folks glasses though. Definitely not for hoarding.

Quote:
No.5 Balvenie 21yo Portwood 40%. Possibly just me but a surprising smoky nose. For me one of those noses I could have breathed in for a long time. A quality dram with a quite a full body, great texture but fell short of being extra special thanks to an abbreviated finish.

This was the second time I had drunk this in 5 days and liked it on both occasions. Mark's note works for me except for the smoke which I didn't find. I didn't really rate this as a stellar dram though. I can think of things I would rather buy for that money.

Quote:
No.6 Benriach 'Authenticus' 21yo 46%. Even more on the nose here with autumn leaves burn on the bonfire alongside something sweeter and greener. However a comparison with an earlier batch once again found a loss of body.

I suspect Mark's chilli had a serious effect on him. I thought this was fab and a close second to the Invergordon.

Quote:
Overall not a bad tasting

I thought it was a great tasting with a selection of fine drams and I'm sure the general feeling was much higher than Mark suggests. We also had a Lagavulin 21yo and a PC6 come to our table from the raffle, along with another cracker which has escaped me.

Good job Mark.

#23581 - 11/04/08 08:32 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Willie JJ]
Leither Offline

Loc: Edinburgh
Sounds a good one guys - sorry I missed it but I will make the next one at the end of this month, some great drams lined up at that including the Longrow 18 everyone is talking about.

I'm glad to hear you liked the Invergordon, I bought a few bottles (again a 35yo but from cask 52392 at circa 52%) but I'm keeping them for special occasions as they are from the same year and month as my birth! Old grain whiskies are very nice indeed.

The quality of all the forum bottlings seem nothing short of simply fantastic.

#23585 - 11/04/08 12:46 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]
Willie JJ Offline

Originally Posted By: Leither

I'm glad to hear you liked the Invergordon, I bought a few bottles ...

The quality of all the forum bottlings seem nothing short of simply fantastic.

Good purchase Paul. I couldn't agree more about the forum bottlings. Great stuff!

#23590 - 11/04/08 10:08 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Willie JJ]
Jolly Toper Offline

Willy was the other raffle prize the Laphroaig 25yo 40% or the Waitrose 10yo single highland malt 40% (not)

If there are any Forom Invergordons left please sell me one.
Do we get told when new ones come out?

Anybody going to dufftown?

See you soon Leither.

#23592 - 12/04/08 01:47 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Willie JJ Offline

That was it Mark, Davie got the Laphroaig 25. We were really lucky.

The Invergordon is still listed in the shop: Bladnoch shop

And yes I, at least, am hoping to get to Dufftown during the weekend.

Cheers

#23937 - 09/05/08 09:53 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Willie JJ]
Jolly Toper Offline

An overdue report on the last tasting:-

Our opening dram was a fairly charming 15yo Royal Brackla influenced by a rum cask. Not a distillery I'm overley familiar with but have been impressed by the bottlings Cadenheads have recently offered. This was a good example of how oak and previous contents can contribute to a whisky's flavour. Strangely I thought I had come across a rum cask that was consistently offering the flavours I recognise as rum but on the night we all agreed the cask was not obvious. To date all the rum matured/finished rum casks I've tried have been 'moment' whiskies, meaning I find the experience to differ depending on outside influences leading to a change in what I taste/smell. Although the rum aspect was absent we still mostly enjoyed No.1.

Next was the mystery dram. Although if people want to they can find out the drams we'll be tasting they will not know the order. With the mystery dram nobody will have a clue to its identity. This was light but inoffensive, relatively medium/light bodied with a fairly rich middle palate. Not at all unpleasant but not particularly inspiring. Very short finish. Whyte and Mackay blend. Personally I've always found this brand offers more than it's competitors.

Royal Mile Whiskies Imperial 29yo cask strength refill sherry cask much cheapness at about £55. Don't know if the boys and girls at RMW have any left but by rights it should be sold out. Not a dramatic drop but certainly delivers with its subtle depth and easy manner. Gentle, long and warming. A slight whisky which, as usual, most everybody under guessed it's age. Difficult to dislike.

Cadenheads Rosebank 16yo Bourbon cask. Of course Rosebank is a sadly missed distillery and I easily understand it's popularity. For me however Bladnoch has been my favourite since I discovered it's delights. A bit like Ardbeg seems to have achieved a reverence Rosebank is perhaps worshipped as a legend as much as an actual performer. That said this example rates amongst the best I've tried. Still light but so much on offer. There seemed to be a delay after initial typical straight forward introductory light Lowland notes but followed by a surprising ball of flavour that seemed to build then fade so pleasingly. Not many complaints.

Longrow 18yo. In retrospect a dram of this delicate nature should have been placed earlier in the line up for its light to shine clearer than was the case. Ooops. Will we ever try it again? Not many of these bottled. I heard 540 bottles for UK. Big price for its age and strength (commonly £90) but not relative to Macallan or Glenmorangie which are more common, chill filtered (surely), not so strong and not 'Chateau bottled'. Little of the gutsy peat and texture to be found in the new CV or Barolo expression but like Clint Eastwood turned from wild west/San Fran gunslinger into a mellower roll this Longrow shows the gentler side of the kiln. Most everybody was surpirsed some to the length of dissapointment. Quite an interesting meeting of expectation and delivery.

Finally Cadenheads Glenglassaugh 23yo 53%(ish) Sherry butt. No messing here and could only come last given this tasting's peaty offering was so delicate. Like a lot of big flavours there were fans and foes with quite a few unsure. Lots of cask but could a coastal influence be salvaging the spirit from a raisin soaked grave? a spot of sulpher/rubber but for me I can forgive this failing if the rest of the package makes up for it. After 5 drams and a some IPA this one was at its best. Very deep, long and constantly shifting from layer to layer. I've seen this one contort faces and delight others, a difficult one to use in a tasting because of the personality clashes that are guaranteed but I think at least one of the 5 drams should challenge and hopefully one or two folks might start their interest in the stronger elements of taste that clearly please some of us.

Next tasting Thursday 15th May

1949 Glen Calder blend 40yo 40% Gordon & MacPhail

1958-96 40% Glen Gordon Gordon & MacPhail

!966 Caledonian single grain Clan Denny

!977 18yo Ardmore Cask strength Cadenheads

!989 Cadenheads 14yo 46% Bowmore

£29/26 available via post for £3 P & P

must go to bed

Page 5 of 82 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Raymond 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 17 anonymous users online.
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Nadadaday, Paulie77, flower1209, killerki, FelixDeSax
3836 Registered Users
Top Posters
Raymond
autism
Alexander
Par
Åke Johansson

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

© Bladnoch Forum - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com