Below I have posted a letter from the Director of Wigtown Book Festival. It includes some early notification from the Book Festival committee of events later in the year.

Dear whisky lovers,

I'm really excited to give you advance notice of a very exciting event taking place at Bladnoch Distillery later this year.

As part of the Wigtown Book Festival - and with Raymond's kind collaboration - we're going to be hosting six days of tastings and talks featuring some of Scotland's biggest names in whisky. Those who have already confirmed they will attend include Charlie MacLean, Dave Broom, Gavin Smith, Ian Buxton, Hans Offringa and Robin Laing - but we're adding new names all the time. The full programme will be out early in the summer.

So what's it all about? Well, it's called Whisky & Words and it's part of Scotland's year-long Homecoming celebrations (www.homecomingscotland.com). The plan is to celebrate writing about whisky in all its forms - from the songs of Robert Burns and Compton Mackenzie's Whisky Galore, to the books by today's top whisky experts. But, just as as importantly, there will be lots and lots of tastings - including rare historical malts, ultimate lowland event. Plus we intend to be partying long and hard to celebrate the launch of the 8-year-old!

Finally, if you ever get bored of whisky (unlikely, I know!), there are over a hundred events to enjoy at the rest of the book festival, including music, theatre and film - last year the event won best regional festival at Scotland's top tourism awards, the Thistles.

Whisky & Words runs from Wednesday 30 Sept (starting with a huge Burns Supper) to Sunday 4 Oct. Please put the dates in your diary - and if you are interested in coming it may be worth looking at accommodation early as it does get very busy around festival time!

If you want to receive regular email updates about this event please drop us a line at catherine@wigtownbookfestival.com and we'll put you on our growing mailing list. Also, if you have any ideas for tastings or other events that you would love to see in the festival programme, please feel free to email us with suggestions.

Hope to see you all in the autumn. Slainte!

Adrian
Adrian Turpin
Director, Wigtown Book Festival