Bladnoch Forum
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3026 - 15/10/04 08:00 AM Whisky nosing, Rare Glen-by-the coast
Par Offline

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
OK,

Last night's whisky nosing with more or less the usual suspects concentrated our interest on two long gone stills by each of the shorelines of Scotland: Glenlochy from Fort William and Glenglassaugh from near Portsoy on the Speyside coastline. Plus we tried a range of super premium chocolates (from Galler) of varying cocoa solid concentration, only to find out that - contrary to my belief - the milk chocolate with a mere 33 percent cocoa was actually very good with the whisky. Typically, it would have been to sweet, but I suspect the brand had a lot to do with this result.

Anyway, for the whiskies:

Glenlochy 17 yo from Cadenhead's, bottled in September 1995 for the US market, at 61,8 abv. Fresh, clear but light oak, vanilla, sweet malty center and noticeable perfumy tones floating around, to eventually even come up with some petroleum peaty notes (quite unusual). My summary reads "fresh teenager (simple but sexy...)". Score 79 and out of those there were a few bonus points for its freshness.

Glenlochy 23 yo from SMWS (bottling 62.9), bottled in May 2003 at 56,1 abv. Much more complex and rounded, with soft, creamy oaky notes, clove, semi-dry grass, almonds and perfumy notes, on a base of malty/fruity sweetness. Summary reads "apple stash and clove". Score 85 and probably as good as this distillery ever got.

Glenglassaugh 19 yo from SMWS (bottling 21.23), bottled in May 2003 at 52,5 abv and very clearly from a sherry butt. Intense doesn't do this justice - it jumps at you! Massive sherry, on ripe red fruits, coffe, figs and chocolate, but also vanilla, clean oak notes and decidedly candied notes - and in time a certain influence of peat, I think. Being decidedly singular, my summary reads "espresso coffee and sherry pralines". Score 86, in part down to its uncompromising character.

Glenglassaugh 26 yo from SMWS (bottling 21.16), bottled in February 2000 at 57,8 abv. Also a sherry bottling, but much more balanced than the above one. Almost tropical fruitiness, very nice oak, Seville oranges, a bit of bitter chocolate, flowery sherry and vanilla; perhaps also some pistachio nuts and a mouth watering tone. Elegant and the summary reads "well matured tropical candy". Score 90 and this is very high indeed, but it is a charming little number. Careful with the water, though!

The outcome of the vote on the four whiskies was exactly as indicated by my score above, but it was a close run between the two Glenglassaughs, closer than my score indicates. The clear division was between the two distilleries (and indeed different wood). Glenglassaugh is clearly the more complex and big whisky of the two. Go get it while you can! I understand that Royal Mile Whiskies has an own label bottling of Glenglassaugh, which is nice and good value for money...

Keep nosing! / Par

#3027 - 16/10/04 12:42 AM Re: Whisky nosing, Rare Glen-by-the coast
autism Offline

Loc: sewickley, pa, usa
How about some notes on the chocolate? Did you pair up different samples with each scotch? It sounds like the Glenglassaugh 19 yr. old probably went the best with chocolate on the bitter side. How did the other participants enjoy the chocolate & scotch tasting?
#3028 - 17/10/04 01:51 PM Re: Whisky nosing, Rare Glen-by-the coast
Par Offline

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi Claude,

The chocolate went down well too. Has become something of a standing feature at my tastings. Funny thing is that the milk chocolate from Galler (not as sweet as is common) went down well with most whiskies, bar the older Glenglassaugh. It was to be expected that the younger and more sherried Glenglassaugh would take the chocolate best and it did, especially the more bitter ones. But the two bourbon matured Glenlochys held their ground surprisingly well with all types of chocolate. I think the older Glenglassaugh was simply too delicate to be rough handled with massive chocolate like that - best enjoyed, and greatly so, on its very own!

Notes on the chocolates are: premium quality chocolate, especially around 70 percent cocoa solids, nearly always make your well matured malt go even further (especially aged sherried malts)... It is not so much the chocolate as the combination I'm after. And that is hard to describe!

/ Par

#3029 - 17/10/04 04:57 PM Re: Whisky nosing, Rare Glen-by-the coast
autism Offline

Loc: sewickley, pa, usa
Harder to find good chocolate here in the States, plenty of mass produced stuff though. I guess I have to go to specialty retailers to find good chocolate and I just haven't found the time to do that, plus the fact that two children in the house usually have first dibs on any chocolate that comes in. As I said earlier, my kids will get plenty of chocolate/candy for Halloween but none of it will be premium candy.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Raymond 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 16 anonymous users online.
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Newest Members
Nadadaday, Paulie77, flower1209, killerki, FelixDeSax
3836 Registered Users
Top Posters
Raymond
autism
Alexander
Par
Åke Johansson

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

© Bladnoch Forum - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com