Bladnoch Forum
Page 45 of 82 « First<4344454647>Last »
Topic Options
#35562 - 19/06/10 10:41 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Jolly Toper Offline

Loc: East Calder, West Lothian, Sco...
Next was Ileach 12yo single malt. This series of bottlings by the Highlands and Islands Scotch Whisky Company has certainly made an impression on a number of commentators. And rightly so. While cueing up the line out the quality of this example was quite obvious. Not nearly as aggressive on the initial nose as the 6 Isles with the more sophisticated aromas dove-tailing nicely with the delicate but firm palate. The finish is lengthy and I'm sure what pretty much most Islay drinkers will be looking for. A classic example of the Island's style and quality. If I was a betting man I'd put a fiver on this being Lagavulin, but not a tenner. 2245556667 53%, the night's best score. 'Really enjoyable, the flavours last, oily', 'Sally McNair, looks washed out but goes on and on and is always good', 'Italy', 'warmth, fire, flavour develops nicely, a rugby team of a whisky'.

The final contender was Smokehead single malt. Back to the 6 Isles approach with the peat much in evidence and the smoke taking a supporting role. Ardbeg-like on the nose but more Caol Ila on the palate. Votes took a bit of a dip here at only 38% which I felt was a bit surprising as I found little to complain about:- 0112344577 but the spread of votes show no conscensus. 'No nose, tastes like turpentine, no complexity, no smoke, no peat', 'Jackie Bird, aged, rough, should be retired', 'Holland'.

The last dram was meant to be our treat for test driving some bottom end of the market malts: G&M Port Ellen 12/82 - 09/09 43% refill sherry casks. Trying to keep ticket prices low AND include a treat meant finding a low cost star. Not having tried this bottling before meant taking a chance. The scores suggest I lost the bet: 024455588 46%. Very poor for a malt that I've tasted many times and not often been disappointed with. For me the nose was fine, I like the old musty notes you normally get only after 25 years plus from some malts. If I was looking for weight and drama I'd be short changed, but I wasn't instead there were delicate notes of exotic fruits and a pleasant smoky edge. But I'd admit it to being perhaps the least engaging P.E. I've tried. 'Brazil', 'Philip Schofield, limp waste of space'.

Next tasting is Thursday 24th July £21/18*:-

Diageo's Manager's Choice Inchgower 16yo Bodega sherry cask- this is a rare chance for plebs like us to drink the malt designed for the rich, lets find out if the dram is as good as whisky gets. By pricing this range so high a hornets nest of contention was noised up, I doubt the quality, even if exceptional, will justify the price tag.

Speyburn 09/77 - 12/07 43% refill sherry butt by contrast G&M can pull out some ancient stuff at very accessible prices, but does old make good? and a low price good value?

Kilkerran work in process batch 2 the next installment in the ascendecy from J. & A. Mitchell's re-opened Campbeltown malt

S.M.W.S. 29 (Laphroaig) 10yo

Something else?!

+ a mystery dram

#35584 - 21/06/10 06:20 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
yogi Offline

Loc: Edinburgh
 Originally Posted By: Jolly Toper

Next tasting is Thursday 24th July £21/18*:-

Diageo's Manager's Choice Inchgower 16yo Bodega sherry cask- this is a rare chance for plebs like us to drink the malt designed for the rich, lets find out if the dram is as good as whisky gets. By pricing this range so high a hornets nest of contention was noised up, I doubt the quality, even if exceptional, will justify the price tag.

Speyburn 09/77 - 12/07 43% refill sherry butt by contrast G&M can pull out some ancient stuff at very accessible prices, but does old make good? and a low price good value?

Kilkerran work in process batch 2 the next installment in the ascendecy from J. & A. Mitchell's re-opened Campbeltown malt

S.M.W.S. 29 (Laphroaig) 10yo

Something else?!

+ a mystery dram

24th of June that is or?

#35588 - 21/06/10 10:51 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: yogi]
Jolly Toper Offline

Just checking you're awake Yogi, it is the 24th of June. Are Sweden playing Scotland in the world cup that night? Are you coming?
#35589 - 22/06/10 05:43 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
MacDeffe Offline

Loc: Århus, Denmark
Denmark is playing Japan

Denmark is Scandinavian sop we can substitute Sweden and Japan can substitute Scotland, they make whisky as well

Nobody will come Mark \:\)

Steffen

#35600 - 23/06/10 12:14 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: MacDeffe]
Jolly Toper Offline

There will be at least two Swedes there and a few Scots, some yanks and an Englander. Very international but no Brazilians or Argentinians, yet.
#35614 - 24/06/10 08:07 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Jolly Toper Offline

Yhe last dram will be an Imperial 1997 - 2010 from a single sherry cask by G&M at cask strength.
#35622 - 24/06/10 09:41 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
MacDeffe Offline

Loc: Århus, Denmark
Thats a good one

Macdeffe

#35667 - 28/06/10 08:46 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: MacDeffe]
Gormie Offline

Loc: Denmark
I think the Imperial was the best one in a close race with the Inchgower but the Imperial is so much more dram for the money and therefore the winner that evening for me.

Gormie

#35681 - 29/06/10 11:34 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Gormie]
Jolly Toper Offline

Just a quick review of the last tasting as I am in the shop waiting for the last bus after a tasting for 28 German journalists visiting Scotland researching peat.

First dram Glen Gyle distillery's Kilkerran 'Work in Progress' No.2, 46% Maybe I am indoctrinated or just a war of attrition with my plate has lead to my enjoyment of Campbeltown whisky but I will admit sometimes its just not what I'm in the mood for. Saying that I'll nearly always enjoy it to quite a degree. It's bold stuff Campbeltown whisky and thats mostly a quality, but moments sometimes require delicacy and something less assertive. I couldn't not include this dram at some point at the closer to release the more topical it would be. When going through my usual concerns about dram suitability I did feel this wasn't a jaw dropper but given it's inclusion wasn't just in making up the numbers we had a proper whisky on our hands. The finish says it all. Glengyle is made from exactly the same barley as used for Springbank and uses the same prduction water as well as being matured in the same environment. As far as I'm aware the differences are down to the equipment: wooden washbacks, like Springbank but a closed mash tun, unlike SB. Only twice distilled, internally heated and tube condesers. The stills are also unique but unremarkable beyond their history. I recommend this bottling to you and like the Ardbeg series it is a great chance to watch development unfold. Beyond this novelty the dram stands squarely on its own two feet and I must admit a bit of surprise and quite some disappointment at it's reception but I reasoned the first dram spot was the right place for it.
11111223333444444 29%: very poor. 'Too strange and short', 'wood fighting with floral notes, still too young,. the wood is forcing the flavour', 'floral short finish', 'harsh'.

Time to go for my bus, back in a couple of days...

#35728 - 01/07/10 07:01 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Par Offline

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi Mark,

At the face value of it, I'd also say I'm a bit surprised at such a very poor reception of the Kilkerran/Glengyle. It is certainly not a whisky that strikes me as in any way offensive (and I'd say that Springbank has a bolder character) - even it being young should not be a problem, although it may of course not be a cracker just yet.

Perhaps the "death position" of the first seat was a non-service to it?

/ Pär

Page 45 of 82 « First<4344454647>Last »

Moderator:  Raymond 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 17 anonymous users online.
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Newest Members
Nadadaday, Paulie77, flower1209, killerki, FelixDeSax
3836 Registered Users
Top Posters
Raymond
autism
Alexander
Par
Åke Johansson

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.015 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

© Bladnoch Forum - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com