Bladnoch Forum
Page 50 of 82 « First<4849505152>Last »
Topic Options
#37250 - 04/11/10 12:39 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: NeFe]
Jolly Toper Offline

Loc: East Calder, West Lothian, Sco...
So I'm not totally deluded.

Next something we bottled in late 2008 and has taken me this long to have the confidence to pour it at the tastings: Glen Scotia 9yo red wine cask 310 bottles 59.5%. Originally I split a bottle between half a dozen of us but can't recall the feedback was particularly positive so its ironic the bottle I put in to the tasting with most anxiety turned out to be so well recieved. 133344566667777888= 61%. My difficulty was the already distinct Campbeltown/Glen Scotia style (at relative youth too) mixed with a big cask donation led to quite a wild ride. However after a year of not tasting it we cracked a bottle for in store sampling and were both impressed as were a significant number of punters. We're now sold out- although the London shop seems to have some. Glen Scotia is a distillery I look more to for an interesting dram. Its encoraging that there is stock around at affordable ages like this where the character is so interesting never mind unique. More please. 'Great dram but its Scotch I want!', 'schizophrenic - good then bad', 'rank rubberied water from an over wintered paddling pool, nice sherry and smokey twang though', 'Rio Ferdinand', 'no doubt a lion amongst prey', 'Muttiah Muralithasan: spicy attitude spinning a complex concoction', 'netter with water', 'the most interesting whisky ever', 'initialliy swelled like sticky toffee pudding or butterscotch but after a while it smelled more salty + peaty/smoky, Tasted strarngely dry, an odd pinky colour, some sort of "comedy" red wine finish? nice though'.

#37251 - 04/11/10 04:13 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Jolly Toper Offline

Up lastly was Laphroaig 16yo Bourbon hogshead 55.2%. Having bottled 2 casks of Ardbeg and 2 of Laphroaig at the same age and cask type there were choices to be made. Bouncing the samples off customers there didn't seem to be a strong pull to a particular cask but in general the lower strength examples seemed to have the advantage and Laphroaig over Ardbeg. Tasting them blind I had my usual difficulty in seperating the two distilleries: luckily there was no Caol Ila bottled to make the task harder still. This cask was quite subtle, clean and crisp, a good cask from a good distillery. Sweet peat arrives in the finish with an ashtray in middle pallate (yum). With water the nose is more agricultural and the texture chewier with the brightness continuing and the finish a long mouth tingling glow. 'My kind of whisky', 'lavender and pencil shavings masterpiece', 'lions don't like water, leopards do', 'Sacha Tendulkas: a genius at 16yo', 'improved with water', 'Taz- the Disney Tasmanian devil like a whirlwind- Woo!! peaty beast, lovely, lovely, lovely'.

Well next tasting is Thursday 11th November £23/20 an adventurous selection more appealing for the curious amongst us:- 'World' whiskies-
Millstone 01.2000 - 06.2009 8yo 43% American oak (Holland) the previous bottling of Millstone I thought was the best European whisky I've tasted so far.

Hakusha peated single malt 48% (Japan) everything I think you'd expect from the masters in the east

Weidenauer diukelwalz 42% (Austria) the second version we've tried from this outfit, the first was certainly not Scottish whisky made in Austria....

Kilbeggan 15yo 40% blend (Ireland) Mr Murray rightly rated this highly

Eddu Silver ble noir 40% (France) a different grain for a differnet experience

A H Hirsch Bourbon (U.S.A.) thanks to Macdeffe for lugging this over from Daneland and diminishing his private stock for our benefit, this is a dram I have puzzled over for years- can't wait to try it- you couldn't make up the tale behind this dram. Can't wait.

#37252 - 04/11/10 05:16 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
MacDeffe Offline

Loc: Århus, Denmark
Well, just to add a few further facts about the AH Hirsch

AH Hirsch bottles several different whiskeys (ages and distilleries). The bottle I am muling over is the 1974, 16yo, the rest of the tale I will let Mark tell us :-)

Steffen

#37262 - 05/11/10 09:56 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Willie JJ Offline

Loc: Midlothian, Scotland
 Originally Posted By: Jolly Toper
So I'm not totally deluded.

Its the curse of the tolbooth again

Next something we bottled in late 2008 and has taken me this long to have the confidence to pour it at the tastings: Glen Scotia 9yo red wine cask 310 bottles 59.5%

And about time too

#37267 - 06/11/10 10:28 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Willie JJ]
yogi Offline

Loc: Edinburgh
any chance to get the "londoners" to shift a couple of bottles of the Glen Scotia north of the borders?
Loved the dram

#37268 - 07/11/10 10:12 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: yogi]
Jolly Toper Offline

Stock reansfer is something we don't talk about: what are they charging? and what is their mail order charge?
#37269 - 07/11/10 10:56 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
yogi Offline

Loc: Edinburgh
sorry Mark it's a big ask so never mind......you're already doing a great job looking after us thirsty buffs :-)

#37275 - 08/11/10 09:58 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: yogi]
Jolly Toper Offline

Alert! Topers beware the world whisky tasting this Thursday starts at 8pm.
#37276 - 08/11/10 10:57 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
Jolly Toper Offline

On a calmer note I was in a right panic on Saturday morning. On the way to work I had a nagging feeling I'd forgotten something. Could this be the day that those nice chaps from a Norwegian whisky club were due to arrive for a tasting at 10.30am? Surely not and also Christmas is months away, right? Oops, no. 9 smiling faces greeted me and before I knew it we were in the basement of The Canon's Gait trying dram No.1: Cadenheads Cameronbridge single grain 19yo 59.4%. They told me they'd never tried a grain before: what's a man to do? Far from the likes of a 30yo+ Invergordon, Cambus, N.B. or North of Scotland this is also equidistant from NAS Cameronbridge. Clean on the nose if slightly metallic the hallmarks of grain are there: sweet vanilla etc. Job done the boys have now tried grain and none of them disliked it, if memory serves. The palate is light with some pleasant summer fruit aspects. I can't remember trying a better CB but then again I can't boast a long list of examples. Unfortunately the language barier resulted in a lack of personal comments on the drams but the scores were recorded: 1223455556: a lowly 41%.

Having been given 1 hour and £10 per head the tasting was always going to be pushed so what dram for No.2? I wanted them to taste something old but also from a sherry cask, then finish on a peaty dram. My choice was limited so rather than the more heavily sherried 30yo but less apparently aged Glenlivet at a wallet worrying £141.50 I went for an equally impressively tagged and aged Royal Brackla sherry hogshead (it previously scored an impressive 68% with the Tollbooth cronies). From an hogshead at 53.6% and only 126 bottles this dram is something I try to nurture, Royal Bracklas are hardly ten a penny and this is top gear regardless of the source. Not remarkable in colour this could pass as a Bourbon cask on visual appraisal and the nose does little to persuade otherwise. Instead of a heavy weight, deep, dark Spanish raisin box we have a spell bindingly delicate, soft, gentle, sweet coal smoke cotton wool bud of a dram. Faultless for me, once again somebody hit the pause button and I was off on planet whisky being treated by Madam malt to a full tongue massage by her buttered up digits of delight.
The oldest they guessed this was was 15yo. Oh well Norway is a bit of an outpost for this type of thing. The government control distribution (not always bad news) and anything over 60% abv is banned (always a bad thing). Hopefully the point I was trying to make: age is almost immaterial- its maturity that counts, was an issue they will consider when drinking/buying.

At this point our hour was nearly up and they wanted another dram. So it was off down for to the shop for more supplies and there was pretty much only one thing in my mind: Cadenheads 17yo sherry butt Highland Park 64%: okay its a monster and might be over the top for the faint hearted but I wanted them to feel the power of an untamed Spanish bad boy. Now I love everything about this dram and I know the only other time I pressed it on anybody the feedback was split love/hate but I couldn't resist sticking it under the noses of these guys- they seemed up for most anything: 335666666 a more than passable 58%: from memory they more or less respected this dominatrix but perhaps had yet to be seduced.

Finally the point left to make was the imprint left by peat on a whisky. No need to look further than the 'Islay' bottled in the shop, vatted malt at 60.3%: cheap (relatively) and cheerful (certainly). Where is it from this week? Who knows? How old? Pass. Who cares, it does what it says on the tin. Hurrah! (Incidentaly the finish on the HP sauce is still pulsing away with rich red fruits, apricots and maybe even olives (I am deluded). 667777889: a whopping 80%! What is it with Scandanavians and peat? I'll have to seasonally adjust these figures to take into account S.A.D.S. We've currently got some big talking Ardbegs and Laphroaigs in the shop but they'd better not pick a fight with this quiet contender, there is a certain assured poise that might have you put your money on this one in a mano-el-mano.

#37277 - 09/11/10 05:17 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Jolly Toper]
MrTH Offline

Loc: Springfield Massachusetts USA
Hopefully the point I was trying to make: age is almost immaterial- its maturity that counts...

I'm tired of hearing that....

Page 50 of 82 « First<4849505152>Last »

Moderator:  Raymond 
Hop to:
Who's Online
0 registered and 23 anonymous users online.
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Newest Members
Nadadaday, Paulie77, flower1209, killerki, FelixDeSax
3836 Registered Users
Top Posters
Raymond
autism
Alexander
Par
Åke Johansson

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

© Bladnoch Forum - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com